|[ Outlaw Genealogy | Bruce
History | Lost Chords ]
[ Projects | News | FAQ | Suggestions | Search | HotLinks | Resources | Ufo ]
Syllabus (in English) of the Documents Relating to England and Other ... - Great Britain. Public Record Office
1333 - Aug 4 - Power for
Roger Outlawe, prior of St. John of Jerusalem in Ireland, to treat with the Irish rebels, and receive them into the K.'s peace.
1333 - Aug 4 - The K. desires the archbp. of Cashel, William de Burgh, earl of Ulster, and 14 others, to assist Roger de Outlawe in his treaty of peace.
What is really interesting, this is the year William de Burgh is murdered by Mandeville and the old relationship of the Utlagh's to the de Burgh family. Also William de Burgh's daughter Elizabeth marries the son of the King , and his grandfather Richard de Burgh's daughter Elizabeth marries Robert the Bruce . Then there is the much earlier connection of Robert Utlagh becoming De Burghs man in Norfolk - There is also the "De Clare" connection since Williams Mother was Elizabeth De Clare ...
1207 - Hubert de Burgh purchased of Roger de Burnham and Julian, his wife, William de Noiers, Robert Fitz Ralph, and Alice his wife, and Robert de Utlagh, their several nine parts of two knights fees in Runton and Beeston and Hinderingham, for which they paid castle gaurd to Dover. 9th of King John *The Norfolk antiquarian miscellany - Google Books - West Runton - Beeston Regis - Hindringham
1207 - Alan the son of Robert de Vtlage, granted the land of Beston and Runton to the Prior of Walsingham by deed , sans date, bounded as there. - (The Saxons would give land to a friendly church in order to keep from having to sell (give) it to the Normans , this ploy often didn't work
William Donn de Burgh, 3rd Earl of Ulster - September 1312 – 6 June 1333
The third earl of Ulster married, before 16 November 1327 (by a Papal Dispensation dated 1 May 1327), Maud, daughter of Henry, 3rd Earl of Lancaster by his spouse Maud Chaworth. They had one child, Elizabeth de Burgh, 4th Countess of Ulster. She married Lionel of Antwerp, third son of Edward III of England.
In November 1332, at Greencastle, near the mouth of Lough Foyle, he had his cousin Sir Walter Liath de Burgh starved to death. In revenge, Sir Walter's sister, Gylle de Burgh, wife of Sir Richard de Mandeville, planned his assassination.
In June 1333 he was killed by de Mandeville, Sir John de Logan, and others. The Annals of the Four Masters noted that William Burke, Earl of Ulster, was killed by the English of Ulster. The Englishmen who committed this deed were put to death, in divers ways, by the people of the King of England; some were hanged, others killed, and others torn asunder, in revenge of his death.
Upon his death, the various factions of the de Burghs, now called Burke, began the Burke Civil War for supremacy.
Walter de Burgh of Burgh Castle, Norfolk Hubert de Burgh, 1st Earl of Kent, died 1243 Richard Óg de Burgh, 2nd Earl of Ulster - His daughter Elizabeth was to become the second wife of King Robert the Bruce of Scotland
| - - - - - -
So which Earl got the message for? Didn't the message from the king come too late since he was murdered June 6 and the messages is dated Aug 4?
Elizabeth de Clare - (16 September 1295 – 4 November 1360) was the heiress to the lordships of Clare, Suffolk in England and Usk in Wales. She was the youngest of the three daughters of Gilbert de Clare, 6th Earl of Hertford and Joan of Acre, and sister of Gilbert de Clare, who later succeeded as the 7th Earl. She is commonly referred to as Elizabeth de Burgh, due to her first marriage to John de Burgh. Her two successive husbands were Theobald II de Verdun (Of the Butler Family) and Roger D'Amory.
She accompanied her brother Gilbert to Ireland for their double wedding to two siblings: the son and daughter of the Earl of Ulster. Elizabeth married John de Burgh on 30 September 1308.
He was the heir to the Earl of Ulster, and Elizabeth could expect to be a countess in due course. She gave birth to their only child, a son, in 1312; he would become William Donn de Burgh, 3rd Earl of Ulster. Only a year later, her husband John was unexpectedly killed in a minor skirmish. Now a widow, Elizabeth remained in Ireland until another family tragedy compelled her immediate return to England.
Her father had been one of England's wealthiest and most powerful nobles, and
her mother was a daughter of King Edward
I of England. When Elizabeth's only brother Gilbert, 7th Earl of
Hertford was killed at the Battle
of Bannockburn in 1314 aged only 23 and leaving no surviving issue, his
property was equally divided between his three full sisters, Elizabeth, Eleanor
This made Elizabeth one of the greatest heiresses in England. Her maternal
uncle, King Edward
II, recalled her to England so he could select a husband for her. She
left Ireland for good in 1316, leaving behind her young son, William.
Elizabeth is best remembered for having used much of her fortune to found Clare College, Cambridge.
Related De Clare's -> Earls of Pembroke:
Earl of Pembroke - Isabel de Clare, 4th Countess of Pembroke (1st Creation) -
She was the wife of William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke, who served four successive kings as Lord Marshal of England. Her marriage had been arranged by King Richard I.
Isabel was born in 1172 in Ireland, the eldest child of Richard de Clare, 2nd Earl of Pembroke (1130 – 20 April 1176), known to history as "Strongbow"
Legacy - [ The "Marshal's line died out ! But there were other "de Clare's" ]
Although her daughters had many children, Isabel's five sons, curiously, died childless. This is supposedly attributed to a curse placed upon William Marshal by the Irish Bishop of Ferns. The title of marshal subsequently passed to Hugh de Bigod, husband of Isabel's eldest daughter Maud, while the title of Earl of Pembroke went to William de Valence, 1st Earl of Pembroke, the husband of Joan de Munchensi, daughter of Joan Marshal. He was the first of the de Valence line of the earls of Pembroke.
| - - - - - - -
1279 - Rochester
- Protection for David de Pembrok, and Cecilia la Utlaghe (from
1326 - William fitz Maurice marries Margaret Outlawe daughter of William Outlawe, the banker of Kilkenny - Williaim fitz Maurice, son of Maurice fitz Maurice, succeeds his father, services due to Richard de Clare, Earl of Gloucester and Hertford in the county Kilkenny, - later known as the " Maurice Fitgerald 's "
|- - - - - -
Elizabeth de Burgh, 4th Countess of Ulster - (6 July 1332 – 10 December 1363) was a Norman-Irish noblewoman who married Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence.
Elizabeth was born at Carrickfergus Castle near Belfast, Ireland, the only child of William Donn de Burgh, 3rd Earl of Ulster and Maud of Lancaster. She was the last of the senior legitimate line of the descendants of William de Burgh. Her paternal grandparents were John de Burgh and Elizabeth de Clare, and her maternal grandparents were Henry, 3rd Earl of Lancaster and Maud Chaworth.
Upon William's [ her father's ] murder on 6 June 1333 she became the sole legal heir to all the de Burgh lands in Ireland. Actually, her kinsmen Sir Edmond de Burgh of Clanwilliam, Sir Edmond Albanach Bourke the Mac William Iochtar, Sir Ulick Burke the Mac William Uachtar became the de facto heads of the family and owners of de Burgh land during the Burke Civil War 1333-38.
As Countess of Ulster she was raised in England and married Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence on 15 August 1352 at the Tower of London. He was the second son of Edward III of England and his queen consort Philippa of Hainault.
1333-1338 - Burke (de Burgh) Civil War
The murder of William de Burgh, 3rd Earl of Ulster in June 1333 led to a three-way struggle among the leading members of the de Burgh/Burke family for supremacy. Edmond was the senior male member of the family, as he was uncle to William Donn and eldest surviving son of the 2nd Earl. He fought against his cousins in Connacht in an attempt to control the vast de Burgh estates, both for his personal estates and that of his grand-niece, Elizabeth de Burgh.
Because none of the three main contenders could overcome each other, the de Burgh lands in Ulster were almost entirely regained by the Gaelic-Irish, while Connaught was split in half between the cousins Edmond Albanach de Burgh of north Connacht (mainly County Mayo) and Ulick Burke of Annaghkeen in south Connacht (mainly east County Galway).
By 1340, the family had divided into three separate, independent lordships:
| - - - - - -
Northern Ireland - A Short History
The male line ran out in several leading Norman settler families, including the de Lacys in Meath in 1243 and not one of the sons of William the Marshal, Lord of Leinster, produced a male heir.
Then, in 1333, William de Burgo, the young Earl of Ulster and Lord of Connacht – one of the greatest landholders in western Europe – was murdered by some of his tenants near the Shankill church outside Belfast in 1333. Known as the Brown Earl, William had only a two-year-old baby girl, Elizabeth, as heir. The de Burgo lordship rapidly disintegrated thereafter.
One of the additional reasons for the collapse of the vast de Burgo lordship was that descendants of the first Norman conquerors were going native or were becoming, in the often-quoted phrase, ‘more Irish than the Irish themselves’. Increasingly isolated from the heart of the English Lordship in Dublin Castle, these families adopted the Irish language and dress, married into native Gaelic ruling families, engaged Irish harpers and poets, and gained the confidence to throw off their feudal allegiance to the English Crown.
Junior branches of the de Burgo family changed their name to Burcach, which later became familiar in its anglicised form, ‘Burke’. They usurped the lands of the rightful Lord of Connacht, Lionel of Clarence, and when he died in 1368, an inquisition recorded that manors which used to be worth Ł200 a year were now worth nothing
Because they are occupied by Edmund de Burgo knight and other rebels of the king, both English and Irish, nor has any minister of the king dared go thither to execute his office.
Two major branches of gaelicised de Burgos adopted the surname ‘MacWilliam’. An army had to be sent in 1320 to Munster against Rebels John fitz Maurice and David de Barry and their followers, namely of the name of Burke and Barry.
Members of the de la Rochefort family simply adopted the name Roche and a branch of the once powerful de Berminghams became known as Mac Pheorais, ‘son of Piers’, after one of their number. The family of le Sauvage (which is Norman-French for ‘countryman’) in the Ards peninsula simply became ‘Savage’. Those described by the Dublin government as ‘degenerate English’ were in effect becoming independent warlords with their own private armies, known as ‘routs’, and waged war on each other, often in alliance with the Gaelic Irish, in defiance of central government.
Many of the descendants of Norman barons who remained loyal to the Crown increasingly spent their time out of Ireland. In 1297 the Irish Parliament attempted to do something about this by passing the following decree:
Magnates and other who remain outside this land, and who cause the profit of their land to be sent to them from this land, sending nothing here to protect their tenants, shall henceforth allow a sufficient portion at least to remain in the hands of bailiffs, by which their own lands may be sufficiently protected and defended, if it should happen that war or disturbance of peace is stirred up there by anyone.
There is little evidence that this parliamentary order was obeyed. The Irish Parliament was almost as ancient as the English one. The first recorded parliament was in 1264 and thereafter, at irregular intervals, the ‘justiciar’ or royal governor would call leading peers, knights and burgesses to meet in Dublin, Drogheda, Kilkenny or other convenient places in the Lordship. These were representatives of the English colony and it was only later that Gaelic lords, in favour with the Crown, were invited to attend. Both Lords and Commons took the opportunity during parliamentary sessions to petition the Crown. They sought help to enable them to combat both the Irish and the rebel gaelicised Norman barons. A parliament meeting at Kilkenny in 1341 [ a year after Roger Outlawe's death ] complained to Edward III about men who are sent out of England to govern them, who themselves have little knowledge of your land of Ireland
- a complaint to be repeated by loyalists many times in ensuing centuries about badly-briefed ministers being parachuted in to govern Ireland by London governments. The petition continued:
Likewise, sire, although there is in every march of your land of Ireland enough and more of the Irish enemies to trouble your English people who have no power to stop them, save the grace of God which maintains them, sire, still more do the extortions and oppressions of your ministers trouble them than does war with the Irish.
Twenty years were to pass before the King felt able to respond to this appeal by sending over his son Lionel with a large English army.
| - - - - -
Route, County Antrim - Route, Reuta, Rowte, or Irish: an Rúta, was a medieval territory in County Antrim, Northern Ireland consisting of the baronies of Dunluce Upper, Dunluce Lower, Toome Lower, and the North East Liberties of Coleraine (in County Londonderry). It also formed part of the more ancient kingdoms of Dál Riata and Dál nAraidi, as well as the Earldom of Ulster. It was once ruled by the MacQuillans and later the MacDonnells.
The Route derives its name from the MacQuillans, who had bought the remaining lands and manors of the de Mandevilles in north Antrim in the 1460s. Originally known as Twescard, they renamed it the Route, after their "rout", a common term then for a private army
Interesting about 15 years later (1346) in the Hundred Years War is the Invasion of Normandy by Edward III - I wonder if any Outlawes were involved...
Battle of Caen (1346) - Landing in France- The campaign began on 11 July 1346 when Edward's fleet departed the south of England and landed the next day at St. Vaast la Hogue, 20 miles (32 km) from Cherbourg. The force was estimated to be between 12,000 and 15,000 strong and consisted of both English and Welsh soldiers combined with a number of German and Breton mercenaries and allies, including several local barons who were unhappy with the rule of King Philip VI of France
1346 - Battle of Caen (1346) - Landing in France- The campaign began on 11 July 1346 when Edward's fleet departed the south of England and landed the next day at St. Vaast la Hogue, 20 miles (32 km) from Cherbourg.
We know there was a Thomas Outlaw:
1346 - Norfolk,
HUNDREDUM DE HOLT. Juratores.—Johannes de Honeworth, Thomas Uthlagh
1346 - Inspeximus by Thomas son of James Outlagh of Audham
1346 - On or around July 7, King Edward III crossed the English Channel to Normandy with 1,600 ships. He took the ports of La Hogue and Barfleur with overwhelming force and continued inland towards Caen, taking towns along the way
Invasion of Normandy 12 July 1346 French Battlefields
On 12 July 1346 an English fleet of one thousand ships appeared on the coast of Normandy. The fleet carried thirty thousand men, horses, fodder, equipment and all of the associated materiel necessary for a full invasion of France. It was personally led by Edward III, king of England; his objective was to land at the harbor of St-Vaast-la-Hougue, capture Caen, and advance his claim to the throne of France. Edward was not seeking a direct confrontation; instead, he was launching a chevauchée, that is, a scorched earth raid into enemy territory where everything of value was to be confiscated and everything not taken was to be destroyed.
the harbor of St-Vaast-la-Hougue
|- - - - -
Summary Timeline 410 AD to 1066 AD - Anglo Saxon England Articles
Eadwig (or Edwy) 955-959 (15 when crowned)
A disastrous reign of 4 years. Sometimes called Edwy the Fair. Murdered when he was 19. Promiscuous from the start he famously left his coronation banquet at Kingston on Thames, to have sex with two women simultaneously, his mistress Elgifu and her mother. In those days the Archbishop of Canterbury would not only perform the coronation ceremony, but also attempt to look after the morals and sometimes the education of the King. In Edwy case he was advised by the famous (Saint) Dunstan whose job it was to pull Edwy from his love bed and return him to the coronation. Not surprisingly Edwy soon exiled Dunstan who fled to Normandy. Later the church punished Elgifu by branding her with a red hot iron and sent her to Ireland. Note; at this time when St Dunstan went to Normandy it was already in Viking hands as Rollo was given the land round the mouth of the Seine in 911 by the French king Charles 3rd “The Simple”. In his short reign of 4 years Edwy lost control of Northumbria who with the aid of the Church set up Edwy’s younger brother Edgar as their King (initially of Northumbria).
Edgar 959-975 (16 when crowned)
Edgar “the peaceful” brother of Edwy, was a much better bet who made sure he was well advised by the educated elders of the Church.
He brought St Dunstan back from exile and made him Archbishop of Canterbury. He had a sufficient presence to suppress the potential trouble makers of the land and to also rule both the Welsh and the Scots without any major military intervention. His authority was demonstrated by a remarkable publicity stunt on the river Dee when he was rowed up and down in a ceremonial barge by the five kings of Wales and two of Scotland plus the King of the Isle of Man. Edgar strengthened the Church creating 40 religious centres to foster culture and learning.
Edgar had two wives Ethelfleda and then Elfrida and a number of mistresses, notably a nun called Wulfryth who produced him a daughter who became St Edith of Wilton. Edgar’s first wife Ethelfleda produced King Edward who was also Sainted.
St Dunstan should be noted for trying to reform Church morals by insisting on the poverty, chastity and obedience of monks and the celibacy of parish priests.
Edgar and St Dunstan brought together the Danish and Saxon races in England by introducing Danes into the Witan and creating some Danish Bishops and Earls.
Edward 975-979 (12 when crowned)
Edward the Martyr, son of Edgar and his first wife Ethelfleda
Edward was too young to follow in his fathers good footsteps and even though supported by St Dunstan could not control the Earls. After 4 years as King he was brutally murdered at Corfe Castle (still standing just!) probably at the instigation of his stepmother Elfrida who lived at Corfe to open the way for her son Ethelred to be crowned King even though he was only 10. He was buried unceremoniously at Wareham but soon after miracles apparently occurred in the area so he was reburied with full royal honours in Shaftsbury Abbey. The procession from Wareham to Shaftsbury a distance of only 25 miles took 7 days. Although Edward was unimportant in the history of England pilgrims still travel to his grave now a modern shrine in Brookwood Cemetery near Woking in Surrey.
As a reference, this is great, since it shows the people involved with Robert the Brus and Scottish wars with Edward I. ... It shows many of names of those that fought in Scotland. Also references to Edward the Brus in Ireland. What were the Aliases about? This is the only place where I've seen this documented practice. The letters seem to be Wills to their Attorney's in case they didn't return.
Full text of Calendar of documents relating to Scotland, preserved in Her Majesty's Public Record Office, London Vol 5
I really found interesting the custom of sending last letters before going to war and traveling under an alias... This volume also contains lists of those that fought in the English disaster of 1314 Battle in Bannockburn
1132 March 21
Same for Benedict Gernet setting out for Scotland with the king, attested by John de Segrave, until
24 June [no. 2114]. [ibidl.
1133 March 21
Letters of attorney for Gilbert de Brunnolvesheved setting out for Scotland with the king, under names
of Roger de Berdeseye and Elye de Baynbrigge, until 24 June [no. 2114]. Wark. [C 67/11, m. 4J.
1134 March 27
Same for Adam de Monte Alto with the king, under name of Geoffrey de Foxcote, until Michaelmas
[no. 2119]. Wark. [ibid].
1135 April 5
Same for Robert de Brus, earl of Carrick, with the king, under names of Robert Bardulf and Archibald le Bretun, until 24 June [no. 2109]. Berwick, [ibid]. [ fyi - This Robert de Brus is Robert the Bruce's FATHER he fight's for the English and King Edward seems to use him to deliver messages between him and his son(s). ]
| - - - - -
Battle of Dunbar (1296)
The Battle of Dunbar was the only significant field action in the campaign of 1296. King Edward I of England had invaded Scotland in 1296 to punish King John Balliol for his refusal to support English military action in France.
Date 27 April 1296
Location near Dunbar, Scotland
Result Decisive English victory
On 5 April, he received a message from King John [ Balliol
] renouncing his homage, to which he remarked, more in contempt
than anger, "O' foolish knave! What folly he commits. If he will not come
to us we will go to him."
There is little evidence to suggest that Dunbar was anything other than an action between two bodies of mounted men-at-arms (armoured cavalry). Surrey's force seems to have comprised one formation (out of four) of the English cavalry; the Scots force lead in part by Comyns probably represented the greater part of their cavalry element. The two forces came in sight of each other on 27 April. The Scots occupied a strong position on some high ground to the west. To meet them, Surrey's cavalry had to cross a gully intersected by the Spot Burn. As they did so their ranks broke up, and the Scots, deluded into thinking the English were leaving the field, abandoned their position in a disorderly downhill charge, only to find that Surrey's forces had reformed on Spottsmuir and were advancing in perfect order. The English routed the disorganised Scots in a single charge. The action was brief and probably not very bloody, since the only casualty of any note was a minor Lothian knight, Sir Patrick Graham, though about 100 Scottish lords, knights and men-at-arms were taken prisoner. According to one English source over ten thousand Scots died at the battle of Dunbar, however this is probably a confusion with the casualties incurred at the storming of Berwick. The survivors fled westwards to the safety of Selkirk Forest. The following day King Edward appeared in person and Dunbar castle surrendered. Some important prisoners were taken: John Comyn, Earl of Buchan, and the earls of Atholl, Ross and Menteith, together with 130 knights and esquires. All were sent into captivity in England.
The battle of Dunbar effectively ended the war of 1296 with the English winning. The remainder of the campaign was little more than a grand mopping-up operation. James, the hereditary High Steward of Scotland, surrendered the important fortress at Roxburgh without attempting a defence, and others were quick to follow his example. Only Edinburgh Castle held out for a week against Edward's siege engines. A Scottish garrison sent out to help King John, who had fled north to Forfar, were told to provide for their own safety. Edward himself, true to his word, advanced into central and northern Scotland in pursuit of King John. Stirling Castle, which guarded the vital passage across the River Forth was deserted save for a janitor who stayed behind to hand the keys to the English. John reached Perth on 21 June, where he received messages from Edward asking for peace.
John Balliol, in surrendering, submitted himself to a protracted abasement. At Kincardine Castle on 2 July he confessed to rebellion and prayed for forgiveness. Five days later in the kirkyard of Stracathro he abandoned the treaty with the French. The final humiliation came at Montrose on 8 July. Dressed for the occasion John was ceremoniously stripped of the vestments of royalty. Antony Bek, the Bishop of Durham, ripped the red and gold arms of Scotland from his surcoat, thus bequeathing to history the nickname Toom Tabard (empty coat) by which John has been known to generations of Scottish schoolchildren. He and his son Edward were sent south into captivity. Soon after, the English king followed, carrying in his train the Stone of Scone and other relics of Scottish nationhood.
Other volumes (I can't find Volume 1 ):
Calendar of documents relating to Scotland preserved in Her Majesty's Public Record Office, London Great Britain - Vol 2
Calendar of documents relating to Scotland preserved in Her Majesty's Public Record Office, London Great Britain - Vol 3
Calendar of documents relating to Scotland preserved in Her Majesty's Public Record Office, London Great Britain - Vol 4
1617 - Indenture of convenant to levy a fine relating to lands in Burnby - Witnesses: Henry Outlawe, Desmond Fortescue, Robert Scruton - 22 Jul 1617 - East Riding of Yorkshire
1624-5 - Married Thomas Wright, of Ripon, and Jane Outlawe, widow, of St. Michael-le-Belfrey, York - St Michael le Belfrey, York - The church is famous for being the place where Guy Fawkes was christened on 16 April 1570
Index of Wills in the York Registry 1620 to 1627 - York (England), Ely Wilkinson Crossley, Yorkshire Archaeological and Topo
New: So this is most likely the Pursuivant and Jane may have been the widow although the remarriage so quick seems unlikely, maybe a daughter.
1625 - Outlawe, Richard, Yorke (Bur. St Michaels of Belfrays, June 11, 1625)
I probably need to add a Franklin/ Tennessee / Alabama history page - daughters of Alexander Outlaw, Elizabeth Outlaw marries Judge David Campbell and Patience Outlaw marries Joseph Anderson, founders of Tennessee and active in politics and they settle in Alabama.
Judge David Campbell - 1779, he married Elizabeth Outlaw daughter of Alexander Outlaw
Judge David Campbell - The Life and Times of David Campbell, Jr
David Campbell, Jr., was born in Augusta County, Virginia, in 1750, into the noted Campbell family of Southwest Virginia. He was a first generation American, the fifth child of
David and Mary Hamilton Campbell who married soon after reaching the Colonies on the same ship from Northern Ireland. By 1769 the family had relocated to a large tract of land called Royal Oak located near Marion, Virginia, at the headwaters of the Holston River. The children of David, Sr., and Mary Hamilton Campbell were John, Arthur, Margaret, James,
David, Jr., Robert, Patrick, Mary, Martha, Sarah, and Ann
POLITICS AND WAR
At an early age, David Campbell, Jr., reflected the character and actions of a true Son of Liberty. Practically his entire adult life was devoted to judicial service. He studied law at a school which later became Washington and Lee University. On January 20, 1775, at a mass meeting of freeholders suggested by the Continental Congress, he was chosen clerk. That was his first appointment to public affairs. Three months later, the war had begun. In 1776 he joined the Virginia Militia and rose to the rank of Major in General Nathanael Greene’s Southern Division. When Washington County, Virginia, was organized in January 1777, he was elected Clerk of the Washington County Court. He served in that position until 1779 when he resigned to begin the practice of law under a license issued to him by Governor Thomas Jefferson.
That same year, he married Elizabeth Outlaw, the daughter of Colonel Alexander and Penelope Smith Outlaw. By 1783 David and Elizabeth had left Virginia, moving across the state line to (now Greene County, Tennessee) Washington District, NC. The next year he was chosen by the North Carolina Legislature as assistant judge of the Washington District. He served a term in the North Carolina Legislature, but favored the movement for the establishment of the State of Franklin and chose to work with them. The State of Franklin was organized in 1784, but was never officially admitted to the Union. Judge Campbell represented Greene County in the Carolina assembly of 1787 and was again elected assistant judge by that body. He accepted the position, thereby offending his former Franklin associates, one of whom was John Sevier. By 1790, the Franklin territory was firmly back under the control of North Carolina, and President Washington appointed Judge David Campbell as one of the judges of the Territory South of the Ohio River, which included the former State of Franklin.
In 1792 he was one of the commissioners on the part of the national government to run and mark the line between the white settlements and the Cherokee Indians. After the State of Tennessee was organized and admitted to the Union as the 16th state on June 1, 1796, Judge Campbell was elected superior court judge by the Tennessee legislature, a position he held until 1810.
IN LATER YEARS
In February 1810, Judge David Campbell served as Chairman of the Board of Commissioners appointed by the Tennessee Legislature to create the Town of Washington in the newly formed Rhea County, Tennessee; and in April 1810 he was appointed by the Tennessee Legislature to found and serve as Trustee of Tennessee Academy in Rhea County.
Judge Campbell resided in the last years of his life on a fine estate opposite the junction of the Little Tennessee and the Tennessee rivers, the site of the present Lenoir City. At his Belle-Canton estate in what is now Loudon County, Judge Campbell entertained three French princes who were touring the country. One of them was afterward crowned King Louis Philippe.
On March 11, 1811, he was appointed Judge of Mississippi Territory by President Madison, but his health had been impaired and his death occurred before he served in that capacity. He had sold his Loudon County home to General William Lenoir and moved his family to Rhea County in early 1812. He died and was buried there in November 1812. His widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Outlaw Campbell, continued to live on the Rhea county plantation until 1819, when she sold the place to John Lock, a prominent citizen of the county, and moved with her unmarried children to Cahaba, Alabama, where her father, Colonel Alexander Outlaw, had located.
Judge David Campbell and his wife Elizabeth Outlaw Campbell had eleven children:
Alexander Campbell died unmarried while in the United States Army
Penelope Smith Campbell married Dr. Thomas Van Dyke.
Mary H. Campbell married Mr. Beck of Alabama
Eliza Campbell became the first wife of Dr. Carlisle Humphreys
Thomas Jefferson Campbell (U.S. Congressman 1841-1843) married Sarah Bearden of Knox County
Margaret Campbell married Mr. Rogers of Tennessee
Dolly Campbell married Matthew McClellan of Alabama
Harriet Campbell became the second wife of Dr. Carlisle Humphreys
Letitia Campbell married the Reverend Joseph L K Sloss of Alabama
Victor Moreau Campbell married Penelope Deadrick of Athens Tennessee
Caroline Campbell died unmarried in Alabama
The final location chosen by the first commission for the Town of Washington was near Hiwassee Garrison, but the owner, Charles McClung, refused to execute a deed to the property. A second commission was appointed by the Legislature in 1811, and Judge David Campbell was not named. The final site chosen by the second commission was property owned by Judge Campbell. He was to receive $100 worth of lots in exchange for the forty seven acres transferred to the county. He died later in the same year and was buried in the edge of the town he had founded.
| - - - - - -
Joseph Anderson - In 1792, Anderson married Patience Outlaw, the daughter of Tennessee pioneer Alexander Outlaw. His wife's dowry included land along the Nolichucky River in what is now Hamblen County (but then part of Jefferson), where the Andersons built their home, Soldier's Rest. In 1796, Anderson and his father-in-law Alexander Outlaw represented Jefferson County at Tennessee's constitutional convention in Knoxville. ... Anderson's son, Alexander Outlaw Anderson, served as a U.S. Senator from Tennessee from 1840 to 1841, and helped organize the government of the State of California in the early 1850s.
Alexander Outlaw later moved to and died in Alabama
Alexander Outlaw Anderson (November 10, 1794 – May 23, 1869) was an American attorney who represented Tennessee in the United States Senate, and later served in the California State Senate, and on the California Supreme Court.
The son of longtime U.S. Senator Joseph Anderson, he was born at his father's home, "Soldier's Rest", in Jefferson County (now Hamblen County), Tennessee.
As a youth he graduated
College in Greeneville,
Tennessee. He volunteered for service in the War
of 1812 and fought under Andrew
Jackson in the Battle
of New Orleans in 1815. Later that year he was admitted to the bar
and began a practice in Dandridge,
Tennessee. Afterwards he moved to Knoxville,
and then served as the superintendent of the United States Land Office in Alabama
in 1836. He was an agent in the Indian
removals of 1838 for Alabama and Florida.
Anderson was a leader of an overland company going to California in 1849. He served in the California State Senate in 1850 and 1851, and then as a judge on the California Supreme Court from 1851 to 1853 before returning to Tennessee. He later practiced law in Washington, D.C., appearing before both the Court of Claims and the Supreme Court of the United States. During the American Civil War he returned to Alabama, practicing law in Mobile and Camden. Again returning to Tennessee, he died in Knoxville on May 23, 1869, and is buried in the Old Gray Cemetery.
More information regarding the Trinity "Hospital" Guilds "The Guild of the Holy Trinity" and the relationship to Adam Outlawe?
The Trinity Hospital in Mile End an object lesson in national history - Charles Robert Ashbee
The Trinity Hospital, or College, built in the reign of
William III., in 1695, shares this appropriateness with other great English
buildings, and up to the present day serves the wise and beneficent purpose for which it was originally erected. What, however, gives the
Hospital in Mile End its peculiar historic interest, is that it remains the only memorial left to us of the Trinity Corporation, or, as it would be more correct to call it, the Guild of the Trinity House, in the time when the Guild was actually the English Navy.
From the day of Henry VIII.
to the day of James II., from the time of Sir Thomas Spert, the traditional
founder, to the time of Mr. Secretary Pepys, the English Navy either actually is synonymous with the Trinity Guild, or is guided and watched
over from the Trinity House of Deptford Strond. The little group of buildings on the Waste are the only remaining record of the work of the
Guild at the time of its greatest influence and authority, and they combine
in themselves the two vitally important traditions, that of the Navy Office with its little official Board under the later Stuarts, out of which sprang
the Admiralty, and the Guild tradition of the middle ages, which brought with it the element of charity and fellowship.
It was in the conception of this later tradition that the hospital was built, by those who were working
out the destinies of the earlier, and it will be seen that the architecture
is expressive of both.
Now here is a connection to Kings Lynn:
It is much to be regretted that the Charters that might have established these facts have been destroyed by fire, but we may safely assume the existence of the earlier mediaeval fraternity, and an inspection of the records left to us of the other Trinity Guilds devoted to naval purposes in other parts of the Kingdom, will give us a fairly complete picture of what the mediaeval Guild down to the Stuart time must have been like.
WE find then that there were Associations of this nature, and of which we have records, in the principal sea-faring towns of mediaeval England, in Newcastle, Boston, Hull, Lynn, Sleaford, Wisbeach and Wyngale, and their nature, purpose, and function is for the most part the same. They are voluntary associations of mariners, they fulfil the purpose of burial and benefit clubs, they are religious in character, and also social, they undertake in varying degrees the duties of the port, sea or fen water with which their members come in contact, and when need offers, they act as coast defence, in other words, they are Royal Marine and Navy.
"The Lynn Trinity"
IN Lynn, the great mediaeval Merchants' City of the East, the Trinity Guild occupied a most important position. In the reign of John one of its members was mayor of the town, and at the time of the Reformation,— for we may estimate the wealth of Guilds by the number of Chaplains they supported and gave Henry VIII. the opportunity of suppressing—its wealth must have been very great, for it maintained thirteen.
English gilds the original ordinances of more than one hundred early English gilds together with The olde Usages of the cite of Wynchestre; the Ordinances of Worcester; the Office of the Mayor of Bristol; and the Costomary of the Manor of Tettenh
GILD OF ST. JOHN BAPTIST, [supplied by ed.] LENNE PETRI. 1374
Lynn Petri is but another name for West Lynn
Adam Outelawe habet in custodia, de bonis dicte Gilde, vj.s. viij.d.
has custody of the goods of the said Guild
A Capt. Robert Outlaw in India around 1818-1820
The Asiatic journal and monthly miscellany Vol 9 - East India Company
1820 - Deaths - at Arcot, at the house of Capt. Outlaw, commanding cavalry depot, the infant son of Maj. Blanckley, H. M. 13th Dragoons - Arcot
The Asiatic journal and monthly miscellany - Vol 6 East India Company
1818 - Births - Dec - At Chittoor, the lady of Capt. Outlaw, of a daughter. - Chittoor
Chittoor - is a city, a corporation and district head quarters located in the Chittoor District of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is located on the NH 4 linking the two major metropolitan cities of India, Bangalore and Chennai. The City has a population of 3,20,567 (2011 census).The Nearest Airports are Bangalore, Chennai and Tirupati.
Arcot,_Vellore - is a town and suburb of Vellore city in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Located on the southern banks of Palar River at, the city straddles a highly strategic trade route between Chennai and Bangalore, between the Mysore Ghat and the Javadi Hills
In 1751, The English captured the town during the conflict between the United Kingdom and France for control of South India. English successfully held it with only 500 men against the French and the Nawab, resisting for 56 days (23 September to 14 November 1751). The enemy army eventually dissolved and its leader, Chanda Shahib, was killed. Mohammed Ali Khan Walajah took over as Nawab, effectively serving as a vassal of the British. His successors soon ran up enormous debts at the hands of English speculators. In 1801, the town was annexed by the British East India Company.
Chittoor Tour & Travel Guide
- Chittoor, situated in the valley of the Ponni River, is a major town in
the state of Andhra Pradesh. Its convenient location on the junction of NH 4 and
NH 18 draws quite a number of tourists.
It is believed that some of the earliest settlers of Chittoor district were the Kurumbas. In the 8th and 9th century, Chittoor came under the Chola dynasty. In the 11th century, it was ruled by the Ballal dynasty, and later by the Vijayanagar kingdom. The East India Company entered in 1640 and made settlements, and Chittoor was a British military post until 1884.
Moodley-Paper - A Tale of Two Mutinies 1: Vellore 1806 and 2: The White Mutiny in Madras 1809: race, class and conciliation under the Raj
1806 - Vellore Mutiny - on 10 July 1806 was the first instance of a large-scale and violent mutiny by Indian sepoys against the British East India Company - The revolt, which took place in the South Indian city of Vellore, was brief, lasting only one full day, but brutal as mutineers broke into the Vellore fort and killed or wounded 200 British troops, before they were subdued by reinforcements from nearby Arcot.
The Monthly Review - Amelia Farrer Vellore Mutiny
THE MUTINY AT VELLORE (JULY 1806)
[Exactly one hundred years ago, and almost exactly fifty years before the appalling mutiny which shook the British rule in India to its very foundations, a mutiny and massacre on a smaller scale occurred at Vellore, then a fortified town situated about eighty-eight miles to the west of Madras. After the conquest of Seringapatam in 1799, the whole of Tippoo Saib's family, twelve sons and eight daughters, were removed by the British to Vellore, which was fitted up for their residence, and a liberal allowance was made for their support. On July 10, 1806, a revolt and massacre took place in the town, in which some of the family of Tippoo were active participators. The causes which led to this mutiny, and the circumstances of it, are narrated in the following letter, which was written from Madras in September 1806 by a lady whose husband occupied a high position, and from which it will be gathered that the outbreak at Vellore was not an isolated attempt, but was intended to be followed up by others, the consequences of which might have been far more serious.]
Observations on the disturbances in the Madras army in 1809 - Sir John Malcolm
1817-1818 - Third Anglo-Maratha War - was the final and decisive conflict between the British East India Company and the Maratha Empire in India. The war left the Company in control of most of India. It began with an invasion of the Maratha territory by 110,400 British East India Company troops, the largest such British controlled force massed in India. The troops were led by the Governor General Hastings and he was supported by a force under General Thomas Hislop. The operations began with action against Pindaris, a band of Muslim and Maratha robbers from central India.
| - - - - -
A Robert Outlaw in Cavalry:
M A D R A S
P R E S I D E N C Y
1819 - Outlaw, Robert — cavalry . . 1798 - - Lieutenant : Aug. 18,1801 - Captain: May 20, 1813 - Died Oct. 25, 1819, at Fort St. George Page 136-137
1801 - 3rd Regt. Native Cavalry - Aug 18 1801 - Madras Promotions - Cornets - Lieut. R. Outlaw
1813 - 3d. N. I. 20th May 1813, vice Outlaw promoted
1816 - Cavalry Recruiting Depot was opened at Arcot under the command of Captain Outlaw of the 3rd Cavalry
History of the Madras army - Vol 3
During November 1813, the "Madras Veterinary Establishment" was transferred from the Presidency town to Arcot. The number of boys to be educated as farriers was increased to fifty-eight, with the view of supplying the horse artillery, and body guard, as well as the cavalry. Each boy was to receive four pagodas per mensem, from which sum his messing, and necessaries were to be provided.
He was to be furnished annually, at the expense of Government, with one uniform jacket and one watering cap. A barrack was provided for the accommodation of the lads, with the same allowance of furniture as that for European soldiers.
On the 17th April 1816, the pay and allowances of Adjutants of native cavalry were fixed at Rs. 147 per mensem, viz., staff pay Rs. 62, allowance for a clerk Rs. 40, for stationery and candles Rs. 15, and Rs. 30 for a horse.
A recruiting depot for the general service of the cavalry was formed at Arcot in May 1816 under the command of Captain Outlaw 3rd cavalry. Each regiment was directed to furnish a detail consisting of 2 subadars, 2 jemadars, 8 havildars, 8 naigues, and 16 privates, to do duty at the depot. The staff was to consist of 1 riding-master and native adjutant, 1 drill havildar, 2 pay havildars, 1 drill naigue, 2 rough-riders first class, 2 rough-riders second class, 1 staff serjeant, 2 trumpeters, and the ordinary proportion of artificers.
200 recruits, 200 horses, 200 sets of horse appointments.
History of 8th King George V's Own Light Cavalry - In 1816, a Cavalry Recruiting Depot was opened at Arcot under the command of Captain Outlaw of the 3rd Cavalry, and each regiment had to furnish a detail of twenty native officers and N.C.Os....
Fort St. George, Madras; a short history of our first possession in India Penny, F. E. (Fanny Emily), d. 1939 Free Download
Fort St George Madras - 1754
St George (or historically, White Town) is the name of the first English
fortress in India,
founded in 1644
at the coastal city of Madras, the modern city of Chennai.
The East India Company, which had entered India around 1600 for trading activities, had begun licensed trading at Surat, which was its initial bastion. However, to secure its trade lines and commercial interests in the spice trade, it felt the necessity of a port closer to the Malaccan Straits, and succeeded in purchasing a piece of coastal land, originally called Chennirayarpattinam or Channapatnam, from a Vijayanagar chieftain named Damerla Chennappa Nayaka based in Chandragiri, where the Company began the construction of a harbour and a fort. The fort was completed on 23 April 1644, coinciding with St George's Day, celebrated in honour of the patron saint of England.
The Fort is a stronghold with six-meter high walls that withstood a number of assaults in the 18th century. It briefly passed into the possession of the French from 1746 to 1749, but was restored to Great Britain under the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle, which ended the War of the Austrian Succession.
St. Mary's Church is the oldest Anglican church in India. It was built between 1678 and 1680. The tombstones in its graveyard are the oldest English or British tombstones in India. This ancient prayer house solemnized the marriages of Robert Clive and Governor Elihu Yale, who later became the first benefactor of Yale University in the United States. The church is popularly known as the 'Westminster Abbey of the East'.
Chennai , also known as Madras //, is the capital city of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Located on the Coromandel Coast off the Bay of Bengal, it is a major commercial, cultural, economic and educational center in South India. It is also known as the "Cultural Capital of South India".
The area around Chennai had been part of successive South Indian kingdoms through centuries. The recorded history of the city began in the colonial times, specifically with the arrival of British East India Company and the establishment of Fort St. George in 1644. The British defended several attacks from the French colonial forces, and from the kingdom of Mysore, on Chennai's way to become a major naval port and presidency city by late eighteenth century. Following the independence of India, Chennai became the capital of Tamil Nadu and an important centre of regional politics that tended to bank on the Dravidian identity of the populace
1799 - Robert Outlaw, eldest son of Rev. Robert Outlaw, who has sailed to Madras as a cadet with the East India Company - Aug 12 1799
1799 - Cadet Papers IOR/L/MIL/9/107 1789-1799 - Outlaw, Robert IOR/L/MIL/9/107/147 [n.d.]
| - - - -
He marries "Fanny" and has sons Robert, Thomas, Henry and a daughter Fanny ! Thomas Floyer Vans Outlaw joins the Army and dies young age of 28 ... Henry dies at age 13 , The son Robert we don't know ...
1819 - OUTLAW, Robert -1819 - Madras Army, d 25 Oct 1819
Related information: L/AG/23/10/2 No. 324
Madras Army, d 25 Oct 1819
m Fanny d 20 Nov 1830
Robert b 25 Jul 1815
Thomas b 12 Jul 1816 [d 26 Mar 1844 ]
Fanny b 19 Jun 1818, m 27 Feb 1845
Henry F.L. b Jul 1820, d 16 Dec 1833
| - - - - -
1816 - OUTLAW, Thomas Floyer Vans 1816-1844 IOR/L/AG/23/10/1 no.3028 [n.d.] - Madras Army, b 12 Jul 1816, d 26 Mar 1844
Outlaw, Thomas Floyer Vans 26th NI, d 44 IOR/L/MIL/11/45/125 [n.d.]
1830 - Death - Nov, 20. At St. Cloud, Fanny, the relict of Captain Robert Outlaw, late of the Madras Cavalry.
1844 - Will of
Thomas Floyer Vans Outlaw, Lieutenant in the 26th Regiment of Madras Native Infantry of Bombay East Indies
- 10 June 1844 d 26 Mar 1844
Wow, found a history of the 26th Regiment and Thomas FL Outlaw is mentioned:
The military history of the Madras engineers and pioneers, from 1743 up to the present time
186 MILITARY HISTORY OF THE MADRAS
Shortly after its arrival at Quetta, the company was sent to Thobee, Moosbung, Turee, &c., to make the road in the
direction of Kelat practicable for artillery. On this duty it was employed till June, and in July it returned to Quetta.
At this time Lieutenant Outlaw, 26th Native Infantry, commanded the company, and Lieutenants Orr and Boileau, of the
Madras Engineers, were attached to it.
189 [ 1842.
The company (with the exception of that part with General Nott's force) assembled at Sukkur and crossed the Indus to
Roree with the force under Major-General Sir Charles Napier.
The following officers served with the company in Scinde : —
Brevet Captain Henderson, Madras Engineers.
Lieutenant T. F. V. Outlaw, 26th Madras Native Infantry.
First Lieutenant C. A. Orr, Madras Engineers.
Second Lieutenant A. J. M. Boileau, Madras Engineers.
Assistant Surgeon Carlow, Medical Department.
The Battle of Miani (Meanee)
The sepoys now began slowly to recede, but the General was there, and brought them up again. On one occasion Sir Charles
Napier was assailed by a chief, but Lieutenant Marston of the 23rd slew the sirdar.
For three and a half hours this fierce fight continued. During all this time the grenadiers of the 22nd maintained their post at
the opening from the shikargah. Major Clibborne should have stormed Kathree, but instead of doing so kept his sepoy grena-
diers in a position where they were but slightly engaged.
The General perceived this, and sent orders to Colonel Pattle, second in command, to charge with all the Bengal and Scinde
cavalry on the right. This order was at once carried out. Major Storey led the Bengal troopers on the enemy's infantry to
the left, while the Scinde Horse fell on the Ameer's camp and cavalry. Now the Beloochees began to waver. The 22nd leapt
forward, pushed them into the ravine, and closed in combat again ; the Madras Sappers did the like, the Sepoys followed,
and at the same time those in the shikargah abandoned that cover and joined the left, where the conflict was renewed. The
battle was, however, lost, and the Beloochees began to retreat slowly, but with no marks of fear. The victors followed closely.
Two or three thousand Beloochees kept their position on the extreme left, but the British guns were turned on them, and
they at last went off also.
The General now halted his army, recalled his cavalry, and formed a large square, placing baggage and camp-followers in
the centre. During the battle it is recorded that in every quarter astonishing feats of personal bravery were performed.
Twenty officers, including four field officers, went down in battle, six being killed ; 250 sergeants and privates, of whom
sixty were killed. The loss of the Beloochees was enormous ; carefully computed to be 6,000. A thousand bodies were
heaped in the Fullailee alone. In four hours 2,000 men struck down 6,000, three to each man.
The General, at break of day, sent word to the Ameers that he would storm Hydrabad if they did not surrender. Soon after noon six Ameers entered his camp and offered themselves as prisoners.
On the 19th the army took possession of the city of Hydrabad, and next day the fortress was occupied.
Fifty-five officers were mentioned in the General's despatches as having distinguished themselves at the battle of Meaunee.
Amongst them were Major Waddington, Bombay Engineers;
Captain Henderson, Madras Engineers ; Lieutenant Brown,
Bengal Engineers ; Boileau, Madras Engineers ; and
Lieutenant Outlaw, commanding the company of Madras Sappers and Miners.
In a letter, Sir Charles Napier made honourable mention of Subadar Tondroyen, of the Sappers, as follows : —
'•' At the battle of Meannee, Subadar Tondroyen led his company most gallantly down into the bed of the Fullailee. He
followed Major Henderson, his commanding officer, who for that gallant action received the Companionship of the Bath.
At this time the part where these two brave men led was about the most dangerous part of the field. I saw with admiration
the boldness of the behaviour of the company and its commander, and the Subadar was at his side on all occasions. This
old warrior's courage, energy, and great bodily exertions excited my admiration, and Major Henderson can confirm my opinion
of him. If I am entitled to the Bed Ribbon of the Bath, he is to the Order of Merit."
Captain Henderson captured one of the enemy's standards, which he presented to the head-quarters of the Corps.
February 17, 1843 Location Miani
In his despatch after the battle of Meannee, dated 18th February 1843, Sir Charles Napier thus notices the Engineers
and Sappers : —
" Captain Henderson, of the Madras Engineers, took a standard, and did good service with his excellent little band of
Sappers and Miners, not only in this engagement, but through the campaign. His Lieutenants, Boileau and Outlaw, have also
Captain Henderson received a brevet-majority and a C.B.
At last the enemy were obliged to quit the village, when they were pursued by the cavalry, which completed the rout of the
right of the enemy's line. While this was going on on our left, the right of our line was also actively engaged.
When the commotion and movement of the enemy, previously noticed, took place towards their right, it was discovered that
some of the enemy had taken Bight towards their left. The Bombay Cavalry and Scinde Horse immediately charged, and
slew many of the fugitives.
The other three regiments of Native Infantry (1st, 8th and 12th) continued their advance and crossed the canals ; but our
cavalry being amongst the enemy in their front, they had to cease firing. Opposition now soon ceased. The field was ours,
and the whole of our force formed line along the bank of the Fullailee, east of Dubba.
With regard to the company of Sappers : after the infantry were ordered to advance the artillery could no longer use their
guns, and the men were formed up and left under command of Lieutenant Outlaw, with the artillery. Captain Henderson
proceeded on and crossed the canals ; Lieutenants Outlaw and Boileau soon followed with the company, as it was found that
the artillery were not to advance over the canals.
But by this time the enemy began to take to flight, and as the artillery were ordered to form line on the bank of the Fullailee,
the Sappers returned to assist the heavy battery over difficult ground. Captain Henderson, in his report, mentions the great
assistance he received from Lieutenants Outlaw and Boileau, and the excellent conduct of Jemadar Tondroyen and the whole
Corporal McDonough, of the Sappers, received a matchlock- ball in his foot.
| - - - - - -
Charles James Napier - , GCB (10 August 1782 – 29 August 1853), was a general of the British Empire and the British Army's Commander-in-Chief in India, notable for conquering the Sindh Province in what is now Pakistan.
In 1842, at the age of 60, Napier was appointed Major General to the command of the Indian army within the Bombay Presidency. Here Lord Ellenborough's policy led Napier to Sindh Province (Scinde), for the purpose of quelling the insurrection of the Muslim rulers who had remained hostile to the British Empire following the First Anglo-Afghan War. Napier's campaign against these chieftains resulted in victories in the Battle of Miani (Meanee) against General Hoshu Sheedi and the Battle of Hyderabad, and then the subjugation of the Sindh Province, and its annexation by its eastern neighbors.
On 4 July 1843, Napier was appointed Knight Grand Cross in the military division of the Order of the Bath, in recognition of his leading the victories at Miani and Hyderabad.
Napier was appointed Governor of the Bombay Presidency by Lord Ellenborough. However, under his leadership the administration clashed with the policies of the directors of the British East India Company, and Napier was accordingly removed from office and returned home in disgust.
| - - - -
The National Archives - Robert Outlaw
Letter from Ann Gibbs, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire to John Frewen, Cold Overton with general news and that her eldest brother, the Rev Robert Outlaw has been in London to see off his eldest son Robert, who has sailed to Madras as a cadet with the East India Company FRE/1499 12 Aug 1799
Letter from Ann Gibbs, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire to John Frewen, Cold Overton with hopes of seeing or hearing from him soon, her recent illness, the birth of a son and that her brother's son at Madras has been promoted to Lieutenant FRE/1534 17 Nov 1800
Ann Gibbs - She was the sister of the Rev Robert Outlaw of Longford, Shropshire and Mrs Ann Gibbs, the wife of the Rev James Gibbs of Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.Administrative history:
Robert OUTLAW The George-Powell Family
East-India Register & Directory;
Third Regiment Native Cavalry; Capt Robert Outlaw. 13 Oct 1817 On Furlough
Footnote says he is 'Com. cav. recruit. depot. Arcot"
But now we know he was married and had a Daughter at Chittoor in 1818 and had a home at Arcot . Also Robert is referred to as the "Eldest son" so who was the younger son?
As to WHY Robert Outlaw joined the Cavalry and left for India , It may have to do with Edward Clive son of Lord Clive of India who was also from Shropshire and who left for Madras the same year Robert joined the Cavalry in 1798...
MINIATURE PORTRAIT OF EDWARD CLIVE, 2nd LORD CLIVE, 1st EARL OF POWIS (3rd CREATION) by Gervase Spencer, in the Gateway Room at Powis Castle -- Powis Castle & Garden -- High quality art prints, canvases, postcards -- National Trust Prints
Edward Clive, 1st Earl of Powis - (7 March 1754 – 16 May 1839), known as the Lord Clive between 1774 and 1804, was a British politician.
Powis was the eldest son of Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive ("Clive of India") and Margaret, daughter of Edmund Maskelyne. He was born at Queen's Square, Bloomsbury, London, and was educated at Eton College and Christ Church College, Oxford
Edward Clive succeeded his father as Baron Clive of Plassey co Clare in 1774. However, as this was an Irish peerage, it did not entitle him to a seat in the British House of Lords (although it did entitle him to a seat in the Irish House of Lords). The same year he was instead elected to the House of Commons for Ludlow, a seat he held until 1794. He was a member of Board of Agriculture in 1793.
Although almost certainly this was a belated act of contrition by the Crown for the lack of recognition to his father, he was on 13th August 1794 created Baron Clive, of Walcot in the County of Shropshire, in the Peerage of Great Britain, and consequently took his seat in the House of Lords.
Edward Clive also served as Lord Lieutenant of Shropshire from 1775 to 1798 and from 1804 to 1839 and as Lord Lieutenant of Montgomeryshire from 1804 to 1830. He was Recorder of the boroughs of Shrewsbury in 1775, and Ludlow in 1801. He also held commission in the British Army as a full Colonel in 1779
He had a distinguished career in India where he was Governor of Madras from 1798 to 1803, returning home to the thanks of both Houses of Parliament
Painting of Lieutenant Henry Briggs -2nd Madras Light Cavalry -1832
Birds of Passage Henrietta Clive's Travels in South India 1798-1801 - Nancy K. Shields
Eland, May 15, 2010 - 328 pages
`Fourteen elephants were employed to carry our tents, which consisted of two large round tents, six field officers, three Captains and several smaller tents for the cavalry, infantry &c. by whom we were escorted. Four elephants were employed in carrying a part of our baggage; two were not loaded that had been trained for carrying howdahs, which we sometimes rode when the weather was not too oppressive. We had two camels, which were mostly used for carrying messages, and one hundred bullocks to draw the bandies in which all the rest of our baggage was to be conveyed.'
The journals of Lady Henrietta Clive, a feisty, independent-minded traveller, are among the very earliest written accounts of India by a British woman. Married to Lord Edward Clive, son of Clive of India and Governor of Madras (1798-1803), she travelled through southern India with her daughters and retinue in the aftermath of the war against Tipu Sultan.
In this their first publication, Nancy K Shields skillfully interweaves extracts from the journals with passages from the diary of Charly, Henrietta's precocious twelve-year-old daughter, who went on to tutor the future Queen Victoria, first Empress of India. She also includes extracts from Henrietta's impassioned correspondence with her beloved, Byronic brother, the rakish George Herbert, Earl of Powis, beside whom Edward Clive appears to have been a very dull spouse.
Important as an historical and as a social document, and also as an early female travel text, Birds of Passage is illustrated with watercolours by Anna Tonelli, who accompanied the party on their voyage.
| - - - - - - - - -
As an interesting aside there are records in the Shakespeare library regarding wills of properties Stratford-upon-Avon - Does this relate to the earlier Henry Outlaw (see research page 2 and 4 ) connection to Richard Burbage?
Here are those links:
The National Archives - Chapel Street, Stratford-upon-Avon - Will of John Lord of Stratford-upon-Avon, gent
Copy of the will of John Lord of Stratford-upon-Avon, gent., whereby he devised to his friends John Whitehead of Barford, Jeffery Bevington Lowe of Eatington and Robert Bell Wheler of Stratford-upon-Avon., gent., of all his real and personal property upon trust for his wife Ann for her life and thereafter as to and concerning his freehold and leasehold property to convey to his cousin William Lord of Shipston-upon-Stour his messuage with appurtenances called the Falcon situate at the southwest corner of Chapel Street then in the tenure of widow Ashfield and also a piece of garden ground in Scholars Lane and to convey to his cousin Elizabeth Lord, sister of the said William Lord, the messuage wherein he then dwelt (thereto-fore Frensham's) in Chapel Street with garden and appurtenances; also another messuage with appurtenances on the southside of, and adjoining to, the last in Chapel Street then in the occupation of Mrs. Taylor; also to convey to his cousin Mary Bellamy, sister of the said William and Elizabeth Lord and wife of John Byrkin Bellamy of Shipston-upon-Stour, gent., four messuages with gardens and appurtenances in Swine Street, then in the occupation of William Tims and others, also four messuages with appurtenances in the Rother Market adjoining the lane leading from the Birmingham and Alcester Roads into the Evesham Road, which last mentioned messuages the testator theretofore erected upon the site of the barn and yard which he purchased with Rowley Grounds from William Brook Smith, and the testator directed that his trustees and executors should pay the rents and profits of grounds called Rowley Grounds in the parish of Old Stratford adjoining the Stratford to Warwick turnpike road which he theretofore purchased of William Brook Smith, and also of two leasehold messuages with warehouses and appurtenances in St. Paul's Square, Birmingham, which the testator theretofore purchased from the executors of his wife's late brother, William Eaves of Stratford-upon-Avon, deceased, to Mrs. Elizabeth Davenport Hobbes of Stratford-upon-Avon, widow of Robert Hobbes, deceased, for her life and after her death to hold the same in trust for the child or children of the said Mrs. Hobbes equally and upon further trust to pay the rents and profits of several leasehold messuages in Shutt Lane, Park Street and Canal Street, Birmingham, which premises were also purchased by the testator of the executors of the said William Eaves, to the testator's wife's nephew Thomas Wardell of Sutton Coldfield for his life and thereafter to hold the same upon trust for the child or children of the said Thomas Wardell equally, and as to and concerning the testator's personal estate (after the death of his said wife) he made bequests to be paid to the children of William Brooks of ER60/6 Clements Row, Milk Street, Cheapside, London, by Eliza or Elizabeth his wife, who was a daughter of the testator and then lately deceased, to his daughter Mary, wife of Moses Backhouse of Coventry, dealer in glass and earthenware, and her children; to John Hathaway Turbitt of Halford, gentleman, to Mary and Ann the twin daughters of the Rev. Robert Outlaw of Brockton, Salop, clerk, to Frances, Anne, Elizabeth and Mary, the four daughters of Richard Wyatt of Stratford-upon-Avon, gentleman, to the treasures of the General Hospital at Birmingham; to the said John Whitehead, Jeffery Bevington Lowe and Robert Bell Wheler and to his servants and he directed his said trustees to hold the residue of his said personal estate upon trust to divide the same between the children of the said Mrs. Elizabeth Davenport Hobbes living at the testator's decease equally and the testator appointed the said John Whitehead, Jeffery Bevington Lowe and Robert Bell Wheler to be his executors.
Witnesses: Catherine Hitchcocks, Mary Hitchcocks and Elizabeth Hitchcocks.
Proved at London 2nd October 1827 by all the said executors. 9 f.
The National Archives - Miscellaneous papers relating to the Lord family and the Shakespeare Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon - the will 23 Feb. 1822 of John Lord of Stratford-upon-Avon, gent
Copy probate of the will 23 Feb. 1822 of John Lord of Stratford-upon-Avon, gent., bequeathing all his real and personal estate to trustees for the benefit of his wife, Ann Lord, for life, and, after her death in trust as follows:
- to convey to his cousin, William Lord of Shipston-on-Stour his messuage in Chapel Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, called the Falcon, now in the tenure of Widow Ashfield, and a piece of garden in Scholars Lane now in the testator's possession
- to convey to his cousin, Elizabeth Lord, sister of William Lord, a messuage "(heretofore Meacham's)" in Chapel Street wherein the testator now lives, and another messuage adjoining the last on the south side, now in the tenure of Miss Taylor
- to convey to his cousin, Mary Bellamy, sister of Elizabeth and William Lord and wife of John Byrkin Bellamy of Shipston-on-Stour, gent., his four tenements in Swine Street, now in the tenures of William Tims and others and his four messuages at the back of the Rother Market, built on land purchased from Mr. Brook Smith, in the several tenures of --- Court and others.
- to pay to Mrs. Elizabeth Davenport Hobbes for life the income from several inclosed grounds called the Rowley Grounds in Old Stratford near the Warwick Road, purchased from Mr. Brook Smith, and from two leasehold messuages in Saint Paul's Square, Birmingham, purchased from the executors of his late wife's brother, William Eaves of Stratford-upon-Avon
- to pay to his late wife's nephew, Thomas Wardell of Sutton Coldfield, for life, the income from his leasehold messuages in Shut Lane, Park Street and Canal Street, Birmingham, also purchased from the executors of William Eaves.
- to pay pecuniary legacies to the six children of William Brooks of Cheapside, London, by Eliza, the testator's natural daughter; his natural daughter Mary, wife of Moses Backhouse of Coventry, dealer in glass and earthenware; John Hathaway Turbitt of Halford, gent.; Mary and Anne, twin daughters of the Reverend Robert Outlaw of Brockton, co. Salop., clerk; Frances, Anne, Elizabeth and Mary, the four daughters of Richard Wyatt of Stratford-upon-Avon, gent.
The National Archives - Deeds relating mainly to property in Rother Street, Stratford-upon-Avon - Will of Thomas Chapman Sheldon, dated 15 July 1829
Will of Thomas Chapman Sheldon, dated 15 July 1829, with the following bequests:
i) to trustees, James George and Septimus Sutton Lowe of Stratford-upon-Avon, leasehold messuage and adjoining freehold garden ground and buildings in Rother Street in the tenure of John Mills Esq., in trust to sell and divide the money between the children of Richard Bartlet by his Aunt Peggy his wife
ii) to his cousin, Richard Corbett of Quinton (son of Michael Corbett by his late aunt Elizabeth) his lands at Bretforton now occupied by.... Rimell charged with certain annuities
iii) to his said trustees his several freehold messuages in Henley Street and Meer Pool Lane occupied by.... Cross and others and his leasehold messuage called the George and Dragon in Henley Street now occupied by Thomas Chandler, in trust to sell and divide the money between his cousins, Elizabeth and Mary Corbett, sisters of the said Richard Corbett
iv) to Rebecca Corbett, another sister of the said Richard, a freehold messuage in Ely Street in the tenure of William Thompson
v) to James George a freehold messuage in Ely Street occupied by Miss Outlaws, a freehold tenement in High Street in the tenure of himself and his co-partner, James George, and his freehold land in Old Stratford; to hold for life with reversion to the said Rebecca Corbett
The Project Gutenberg - Shakespeare's Family, by Mrs. C. C. Stopes.
Found a William Outlawe reference:
1322 - April 3 - William Utlawe of Kylkenny - loan of as much as he can lend to King Edward II for war against the Scots at Carlisle
Calendar of the Close Rolls Preserved in the Public Record Office - England. Court of Chancery
1322 - April 3
To Richard de Burgo, earl of Ulster. Request that he will come in the king’s service with as many horsemen and footmen as possible, so that he be at Carlisle in the octaves of Holy Trinity next prepared to set out with certain of the king’s faithful subjects against the Scotch rebels, and that he will do this at his own charge, certifying the king by the bearer of what he will do in the premises. ‘ By K. [Parl. Writs-.1To Thomas son of J ohn, earl of Kildare. Request that he will come in the aforesaid service at the king’s wages, so that he be at Carlisle at the aforesaid date, and that he will give credence to what John de Bermyngeham, earl of Loueth, justiciary of Ireland, shall explain to him byword of mouth. [Ibid.] g By K.
The like to thirty-three others. [Ibid.]
To John de Bermyngeham, earl of Loueth, justiciary of Ireland. The king has ordained to be at Newcastle-on-Tyne in the octaves of Holy Trinity next with an army to set out against the Scotch rebels, and that the said justiuiary and other of his subjects of his realm and of the aforesaid land with horses and arms shall be at Carlisle in the said octaves to set out against the said rebels, and he hns, moreover, ordained to have from Ireland 300 men-at-arms, 1,000 hobelers, and 6,000 footmen armed with aketon, bascinet, and iron gloves at least, to wit the men-at-arms to be chosen amongst the justiciary and the nobles of that laud, except the earl of Ulster, and the hobclers and footmen to be chosen in the said land and brought to Carlisle by the justiciary: the king therefore orders the justiciary to ordain in such manner between himself and the nobles, with the above exception, that the king may have the said men-at-arms from him and them, the king having written to the nobles to give credence to the justiciary in this matter, and to cause the hobelers and footmen to be chosen without delay, and to bring them to Carlisle by the octaves aforesaid. The king has ordered the treasurer of Ireland to pay the wages of the said horsemen and footmen out of the issues of that land, and he is writing to the prelntes and to the communities of the towns of that land requiring aid from them for this matter and to give credence to the justiciary and the treasurer concerning the same. The king enjoins the justiciary to shew all diligence in the premises, and to certify him before the said octaves of his proceedings, and of what aid he has obtained, and what manner of aid, and from whom. The king is writing t/o the earl of Ulster to come in his service with as much power as possible. The king will send shipping from the southern parts of his realm to Ireland in aid of the carrying of the said men from Ireland to Garlisle, as has been usual heretofore. By K. [Parl. W1'ita.]
To A. archbishop of Dublin. Request that he will assist the king, who needs a great amount of money for the above affairs, with money or other suitable aid of his gift, and with the
loan of as much as he can lend. The king will cause satisfaction to be made for the latter at terms to be appointed therefor. The archbishop is desired to give credence to what the justiciary and treasurer of Ireland, or either of them, shall explain to him by word of mouth. By K.
The like to the following:
The archbishop of Armagh.
The archbishop of Cashel.
The archbishop of Tuam.
The bishop of Ossory.
The bishop of Cork.
The bishop of Lismore.
The bishop of Lymerik.
The bishop of Kildare.
The bishop of Connor (C03/ners).
The bishop of Down.
The bishop of Ferns (Fenerf).
The bishop of Meath.
The like to the following, with a slight change :
Walter de Cusac.
Robert Russel of Ros.
William Utlawe of Kylkenny.
1483 - Outelawe,
Thomas, haknay man - Milton
Gravesend Kent - St Mary Gracis by the Tower - Trespass - East_Smithfield
1483 - Edward IV Kent
|f||136||Kent||trespass: close||St Mary Gracis by the Tower, John, Abbot of the Monastery, in||---a(?), Richard, of Milton by Gravesende; Elyes, William, of Milton by Gravesende, yeoman; Baker, John, of Gravesende, yeoman; Eylmyn, Robert, yeoman; Waleys, James, yeoman; Stacy, John, yeoman; Godfrey, John, yeoman; Clerk, Thomas, yeoman; Outelawe, Thomas, haknay man; all men of Milton by Gravesend, except John Baker|
East_Smithfield - is the name of a road in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in east London, part of the A1203 road. It was historically an alternative name for the liberty and parish of St Botolph without Aldgate.
The route of both the London Marathon and the London Triathlon pass along East Smithfield. The Royal Mint, Tower Bridge and the Tower of London are located in the vicinity.
The Royal Mint moved from the Tower of London, to a site at the end of East Smithfield in 1809. Today, this building, by Robert Smirke and its gatehouse are all that remain; the rest being swept away by continual expansion, until in November 1975, the London Mint was closed and production transferred to Wales. The site is now occupied by Barclays Global Investors.
Over time, the area had become divided and further sub-divided. In 1294, the liberty of the Minories was formed around the Minoresses of St. Mary of the Order of St. Clare. This site is now occupied by Tower Gateway DLR station. Similarly, to the east, was the liberty of Well Close, around the Abbey of St Mary Graces. By the 17th century, the rights, peculiarities and administration of these tiny areas was becoming increasing anachronistic, and in 1686, they were subsumed into the Liberties of the Tower of London. In 1828, St Katharine Docks were constructed on the site of the hospital, and some 11,000 persons were evicted from the slum to find their own replacement lodgings. From 1855, the whole area of the former East Smithfield was reunited under the administration of the Whitechapel District.
RUNES AROUND THE NORTH SEA AND ON THE CONTINENT AD 150-700
Period I, the ‘archaic’ period, stretches in all regions from the very beginning of runic writing
to the 7th century, and it coincides everywhere with the pre-Christian era or with a transitional
phase to Christianity. In historical terms this concerns the Roman and Merovingian
periods. The exact beginning of Period I varies locally. In Denmark Period I lasts from the
2nd c. to the 6th c. In England Period I starts in the 5th and goes on to the 7th c. Continental runic writing stretches from the 2nd c. to the 7th c. From The Netherlands the whole runic period has been included, from the 5th c. to the 9th c. Period II, when runic writing appears to have become more integrated in society, began in Denmark and England somewhere during the 7th century.
All runic finds from the Danish bogs and graves, approximately dating from the period 160- 450, have been found in a context that clearly shows Roman connections3
3.1. The objects that were offered and buried may have been inscribed to serve some ritual function, but this is difficult to prove, since we do not have any unambiguous texts that would confirm such a function. It is impossible to identify, beyond any doubt, texts that are undisputedly religious, or that refer to the supernatural. Some scholars believe that at least
part of the runic texts are magical, simply because in their opinion runes were basically be a magical script. Runes were certainly used in texts that had magical purposes, such as is perhaps shown by seemingly meaningless sequences like aaaaaaaazzznnn?bmuttt on the Lindholm bone piece.
Forgotten Scripts By Dino Manzella
Runes were believed to be magical. Nothing but pure magic could explain the phenomenon of speaking to someone without actually being there; and to think that the message inscribed could speak to thousands of people thousands of years after it's author had died. It was mystifying. It had to be pure magic!
Administrative Organisation and State Formation A Case Study of Assembly Sites in Södermanland, Sweden Alexandra Sanmark
Kjula ĺs: ‘thing mound’ with rune-stone in foreground.
Photograph by A Sanmark
Viking-Age "things" were the public assemblies of the free men and
functioned as both parliaments and courts.
There were things at different levels of society — local, regional and supra-regional — and meetings were held at regular intervals as well as on an ad hoc basis when the need arose.
The significance of these things for the functioning of Viking society is under-appreciated, with feuding seen as the most common way of regulating society and solving conflicts.
Certainly feuding is a regular theme in the sagas, perhaps because it serves as an exciting literary theme, but the things’ role as arenas for conflict resolution, marriage alliances, power display, honour and inheritance settlements, etc also comes across very clearly.
Larsson concluded that Swedish assembly sites often had a number of typical features: ‘large mounds, a concentration of rune-stones and a close connection with crossings between roads by land or water’.
Brink argued that a rune-stone, a thing mound and an ancient road (often the royal
Eriksgata ) lined by standing stones ‘constituted a Viking Age thing assembly site or — to be
more circumspect — were essential elements that constituted a Viking Age
thing assembly site’.
Interesting comments about Ogham replacing Rune Stones in Pembrokeshire:
Greeks and Goths a study on the runes - Isaac Taylor - 1879
18. The Oghams.
The Scandinavian settlers in Northumbria, Cumbria, and the Isle of Man, having left behind them so many runic records of their presence,
it may seem strange that not a single runic stone should have been discovered in the Scandinavian colony of Pembroke, or even in Ireland, where Scandinavian chieftains bore sway for many years in the cities of Dublin, Waterford, and Limerick.
The runic treasures of Wales and Ireland are limited to one small silver coin, struck in Dublin, which bears a runic legend1. But the fact of this remarkable absence of runic monuments in certain regions where they might have been looked for, must be taken in conjunction with another circumstance, equally remarkable, that it is exactly in those regions where the expected runic stones are wanting that Ogham stones abound. These facts will be explained if it can be established that the mysterious Ogham character, in which
1 Worsaae, Danes and Norwegians, p. 338.
Replacement of Runes by Oghams. 109
the most ancient records of Wales and Ireland are written, and respecting which so many wild conjectures have been made, was originally nothing more or less than a very simple and obvious adaptation of the Futhorc to xylographic necessities, the individual runes being expressed by a convenient notation consisting of notches cut with a knife on the edge of a squared staff, instead of being cut with a chisel on the surface of a stone. Some such method of notation seems to be implied by the words book and buch-staben (beech sticks), and may probably be referred to in the often quoted lines of Venantius Fortunatus, a sixth century poet, who says,
Barbara fraxineis pingatur rhuna tabellis,
Quodque papyrus agit, virgula plana valet.
The geographical distribution of the Ogham inscriptions raises a strong presumption in favour of the Scandinavian origin of the Ogham writing.
The Ogham districts of Wales and Ireland were, without exception, regions of Scandinavian occupancy.
As I have elsewhere pointed out1, the existence of a very early Scandinavian settlement in Pembrokeshire is indicated by a dense cluster of local names of the Norse type which surrounds, and radiates from, the fiords of Milford and Haverford. The Ogham district in Wales is nearly conterminous with the limits of this Scandinavian colony as determined by the local names.
Seventeen out of the twenty Welsh Ogham inscriptions are in the counties of Pembroke, Cardigan, Carmarthen, and Glamorgan, nine out of the seventeen being in Pembrokeshire itself.
There are also two Ogham inscriptions in Devon, and one in Cornwall, and there are said to be one or two in Scotland1. But of the extant Ogham inscriptions more than five-sixths are in Ireland, and these, with four or five exceptions, are found along that part of the Irish coast which lies opposite to the Scandinavian colony in Pembroke, and which, as is attested by such local names as Waterford and Smerwick, was frequented and settled by the Northmen.
No less than 148 out of the 155 Irish Oghams are found in the four counties of Kilkenny, Waterford, Cork, and Kerry1, or, roughly speaking, they fringe the line of coast which stretches between the two Scandinavian kingdoms of Waterford and Limerick.
It may safely be affirmed that where the Northmen never came Ogham inscriptions are never
Still researching this record:
Early Outlawe's In Kent
1170 - Alan de Inglefeld to Peter son of Hagenilde and whichever of his boys he chooses for their lives, for 10s. annual rent and all services saving the King's. Witnesses: Ilger de Inglefeld, Peter the lord's uncle, Robert Puncun, Nicholas Pincerna, Robert de la More, William de Holme and Walter his brother, Walter de Molesford, and Hugh Amis. Seal missing. ˝ virgate without house or 'curia' (formerly held by Roger, brother of the grantee) and 1 a. of meadow in 'Hyda Calcebuef'. Berkshire Record Office - Englefield, Berkshire - Why was Peter son of Hagenilde so important? Is there a connection to the Utlag's in Kent?
| - - - -
RBH History of Englefield, Berkshire ... The Englefields supposedly owned the manor from the time of King Edgar the Peacemaker until it was confiscated from Sir Francis, the infamous 16th century Catholic who would not bow to the power of the English Church. He tried all sorts of ploys to stop the crown getting its hands on his lands, including settling it on his nephew. But eventually he lost out and had to flee overseas. The Englefields later bought Whiteknights Park in Earley and continued to be buried in the Englefield Chapel in Englefield Church until 1822. Though they still have impressive monuments there, some seven fine brasses have disappeared, not least that from the elaborate 1514 tomb-chest memorial to Sir Thomas Englefield, Speaker of the House of Commons. Arches under the south wall shelter a stone knight (shield missing) and a wooden lady, probably Sir Roger Englefield (d.1317) and his wife Joan (d.1340). Nearby is a Norman pillar piscina...
} - - - -
Robert de la More
High Sheriff of Berkshire
The High Sheriff of Berkshire, in common with other counties, was originally the King's representative on taxation upholding the law in Saxon times. The word Sheriff evolved from 'shire-reeve'.
UNTITLED ENGLISH NOBILITY L-O
12th to 14th Century Armour
Robert Berkley 1170
Geoffrey de Mandeville 1st Earl of Essex, died 1144
---- >>> Back to Outlawe Research Journal - Page 8