| News | FAQ
| Suggestions | Search
| HotLinks ]
| Resources | Ufo | Outlaw Genealogy | Bruce History | Lost Chords ]
The first permanent settlement in North Carolina, Edenton is the ''mothertown'' of the State.
Edenton at once became the focal point of civilization in the
Province, the capital of the Colony and the home of the Royal Governors.
Originally incorporated in 1715 as ''The Towne on Queen Anne's Creek,'' and later as ''Ye Towne on Mattercommack Creek'' and, still later as ''The Port of Roanoke,'' the spot was named Edenton in 1722 in honor of Governor Charles Eden.
Edenton was established in 1728 as the colonial capital of North Carolina, and it soon became the cultural and economic capital as well. Hundreds of ships made the town a regular port of call, offloading food, goods, and slaves and shipping the prolific agricultural products of the region to European ports. The result was a thriving plantation economy that brought life to northeastern North Carolina.
Edenton NC - Maps
11. EDWARD OUTLAW, (10) born about 1685, Norfolk County, Va. Married Anne, daughter of George and Hannah Ivey of Norfolk County. Edward, Second, Gentleman, of Albemarle County (Now Chowan, Bertie and others), Carolina, is shown in the records as juror at Court on Queen Ann's Creek in Chowan precinct in 1721 and 1722 and owned lands on Warrick Swamp, Catherine Creek and elsewhere. The land in Virginia left to him by his father's Will, was deeded by him to his brother-in-law Robert King and wife Elizabeth "where the said Outlaw's father formerly dwelt, which said land is part of 240 acres that Edward Outlaw, Sr., deceased, left to his sons." Anne Outlaw, wife of Edward, signed the deed. She was Anne (Ivey) Outlaw, daughter of George and Hannah Ivey, also of Norfolk County.
When the Earl of Granville consented, with the other Lords Proprietors in
1729, to surrender to the Crown the sovereignty of the Province of North
Carolina, he reserved to himself all the rights of ownership to one-eighth
part of the Province. The area of Edgecombe at this time included all of the
Granville district. This fact resulted in many hardships on those residing in
his territory. Naturally, Granville would create more drastic measures and use
more compulsion in the collection of rents than had been done. Since it was his
main source of revenue, he decreed that all rents must be paid in gold or
silver, and refused commodities. Moreover, the rents were to be paid at
Outlaw's Landing on Chowan River, about 90 miles from the nearest boundary of
Edgecombe and 300 miles from the frontier. 1 This caused a hardship on the
people, who every year had to make the journey without wagon trails, through
forests infested with Indians and dangerous beasts. There were also other
difficulties, for there was very little species in the colony at this time, and
this law naturally kept the Province entirely drained of gold or silver.
Moreover, instead of having a resident among them to collect the rents,
1 The inhabitants were allowed 10 per cent of the amount paid for rents whenever they carried same to the regular place for collection—Edenton or Outlaw Landing.